Microbiology Lead Medical Technologist/Generalist (MT/MLS/CLS)
Company: Aspen Valley Hospital
Posted on: May 14, 2022
Company Overview: Embrace the adventure of a career at Aspen
Valley Hospital. Aspen Valley Hospital is a twenty-five-bed
community hospital that represents the best of two worlds - the
warmth and friendliness of a small town and the technical expertise
of a major medical center. Our award-winning hospital, nestled in
the heart of Aspen, CO, includes a team of more than 500 people
dedicated to making a difference for our patients, families, and
community. Nationally we are recognized for providing some of the
most exceptional patient care of any hospital across the
country.AVH supports vaccinations as the evidence-based and most
effective means for our community and country to put COVID-19
behind us and to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations and deaths. In
order to better care for our community, as of 10/31/21, AVH
requires COVID-19 Vaccination for all Staff.This Position
Offers:Highly competitive pay, 40 hours per week, comprehensive
benefits package (including generous PTO, health insurance within
your first 30 days, retirement), being part of a very cohesive &
supportive team, and four of North America's top ski resorts at
your doorstep.Job Overview: The Laboratory Lead/Section Head
performs various clinical laboratory tests in one or more sections
of Laboratory Medicine to obtain data for use in diagnosis and
treatment of disease according to established policies and
procedures. Responsible for the day-to-day supervision or oversight
of Microbiology, and training of employees working in the
section.Primary Scope of Responsibilities:
- Lead/Section Head over the Microbiology Section to include but
not limited to: monthly audits of worksheets, temperatures, blood
culture contamination rates, daily QA/QC review, inventory
management, policy review and editing, oversight and review of
patient specimen cultures, oversight and monitoring of COVID
send-outs to CDPHE for sequencing, and CAP proficiency testing
oversight for the micro section to include test ordering,
assignment, and result entry. Micro benchwork and generalist
(core/blood bank) benchwork will be performed daily, with scheduled
time off the bench for management duties.
- Perform laboratory procedures as assigned; (Blood Bank,
Microbiology ,Chemistry, Special Chemistry, Hematology, Serology,
Coagulation, Urinalysis), for specimen handling and processing,
sending out reference labs and protocols, documented training and
certified in packaging and shipping of infectious material
following state, federal and local regulations, test analysis,
reporting, maintaining records of patients test results, assisting
pathologist for frozen sections, phlebotomy proficient, prioritize
- Proficient in documentation of quality control and follows
established procedures for "out-of-range control values, labeling
reagents and controls, adding reagents or indicators, or prepares
specimens for introduction into proper instrument, records and
reviews test results for accuracy and prepared reports of same,
documentation of troubleshooting and initiate service calls.
Supervisors must monitor all supplies and meet necessary deadlines
for weekly orders.
- Participates in overall department and facility quality
improvement plan as requested. Quality management of pre-analytic,
analytic, post-analytic processes, and proficiency testing. Each
supervisor must have a documented process improvement CQI/QM
program covering all aspects of the laboratory services.
Supervisors must schedule quarterly documented meeting with
Laboratory Director for goal review and departmental needs. Oversee
proficiency process per responsible department and respond to all
deviancy reports as designated by Lab Director. Respond and meet
timeline established by Laboratory Director on all projects and
duties. Oversee all aspects of assigned departments. Implements
correct charges procedures and monitors daily for accurate charging
in the department. Communicating with staff and Director any
corrections, updates, or additions when appropriate.
- Exercises the most desirable customer service demeanor and
professionalism in all communications, duties and attire while
interfacing with patients, physicians, staff, business-related
contacts and visitors. Takes the initiative to provide assistance
with special problems or complaints.
- Answers all incoming external and internal calls by clearly
stating the facility and employee name, screens calls, refers them
to the appropriate department or person, and paging if
- Delivers, documents, and oversees patient care in accordance
with AVH policy, procedures, protocol, and CAP, AABB, FDA or CMS
standard interpretative. Demonstrates ability to prioritize all
aspects of patient safety and the National Safety Goal
requirements. (Hand washing, 2 identifiers/ armbands, and reporting
of critical values). Participates in overall department and
facility quality improvement plan as requested.
- All Employees are accountable to comply with any Joint
Commission, departmental, and hospital wide policies and procedures
that are pertinent to their role and employment with the
organization. Other Duties:
- Generalist (core/blood bank) benchwork will be performed daily,
with scheduled time off the bench for management duties; generalist
experience to include benchwork in chemistry, hematology,
coagulation, urinalysis, and blood bank required.
- Records pertinent clinical documentation in accordance with
regulatory requirements, professional standards and hospital
- Adheres to federal, state and hospital rules and regulations
concerning HIPAA privacy and security.
- Follows Hospital compliance plan and policies, including the
Code of Conduct.
- Participates in required training for compliance related
activities (HIPAA, Compliance, Patient Safety, TJC, etc.)
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own
professional decision making.
- Develops professional goals and diversity of responsibilities
within practice; consistent with hospital mission and goals
- Demonstrates role awareness and seeks individualized/department
specific continuing education that improves patient care or
- Able to express values around patient/family centered care and
assists others to achieve shared understanding.
- Active participant in quality improvement processes.
- Participates and contributes to unit meetings and
- Identifies need to seek out additional information when needed
and apply relevant findings to practice
- Demonstrates purposeful service excellence through exceeding
patient and co-worker expectations.
- Represents the department and hospital as a dedicated,
courteous and responsive employee.Minimum Qualifications &
- Fully competent in microbiology with at least four years of
microbiology experience required.
- Must have generalist lab experience
- Analytical skills necessary to interpret and analyze test
results and determine appropriate course of action for abnormal or
- BLS Awareness training
- Bachelor of Science Degree required, preferably in Medical
- Must have a CLS/MLS (ASCP) or equivalent registration.Benefits
& Compensation: Hire-in rates of pay are based upon the relevance
of years of experience, education and certifications. Our
recruitment team will help you understand how your direct
experience will be considered.Pay range for new hires: $49.02 -
$50.95/hrOur comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid
time off, health insurance within your first 30 days, retirement
details can be viewed here.
Keywords: Aspen Valley Hospital, Aspen , Microbiology Lead Medical Technologist/Generalist (MT/MLS/CLS), Healthcare , Aspen, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!