Surgery Department Scheduler
Company: Aspen Valley Hospital
Posted on: November 2, 2019
Status: Full Time
Eligible for Benefits: Yes
The Perioperative Services Scheduler schedules Surgical Inpatients
and Outpatients, as well as Endoscopy procedures as they are
requested using the scheduling module. The Perioperative Services
Scheduler coordinates issues as appropriate with the Charge RN,
Perioperative Services Director and Perioperative Services nurses
specific to scheduling. The Perioperative Services Scheduler
answers phone and assists with the daily operations of the unit.
The Perioperative Services Scheduler function maintains
confidentiality with patients, staff and guests. The Perioperative
Services Scheduler practices exceptional customer service and
professionalism, performs data entry as assigned.
The Perioperative Services Scheduler will be an active member of
the entire department, with the ability to help in roles outside of
surgically specific job duties if needed. The Perioperative
Services Scheduler will work collaboratively with others within the
department to ensure an efficient, professional and respectful
environment. The Perioperative Services Scheduler will work with
other departments as well in regards to patient safety and
Primary Scope of Responsibilities:
- Accurately schedules all Surgical Inpatients and Outpatients,
as well as Endoscopy procedures as needed/requested in a timely
manner using the scheduling module and electronic medical record.
Scheduling includes ensuring accurate MD order, consents and
H&P, obtaining insurance and demographic information for the
physician office and communicating with pre-cert team as
- Communicates appropriate pre procedure information to patient
when scheduling and refers patient questions unable to answer to RN
or appropriate person.
- Communicates immediately, or as soon as possible, any pertinent
information, scheduling conflicts/issues, or special equipment
needs/issues about scheduled procedures to Perioperative Charge
- Ensures that all compliance requirements have been met, and the
Pre-registration is properly updated for anticipated billing.
- Exercises the most desirable customer service demeanor and
professionalism in all communication, duties and attire while
interacting with patients, physicians, staff and visitors. Conforms
to dress-code without exception.
- Is thoroughly versed in Hospital and applicable HIPAA
regulations and is especially sensitive to, and mindful of, patient
confidentiality in all scenarios. Conforms to all regulations
- Communicates and coordinates information in a knowledgeable and
courteous manner with staff, patients, and families. Assists with
keeping family members updated regarding patient's
- Verifies all patient charges for procedures performed in the
Perioperative setting within 72 hours.
- Answers telephone calls promptly and responds to requests and
messages in a timely manner. Takes accurate messages,
relays/forwards messages to appropriate personnel, and refers
callers to appropriate personnel as needed.
- Performs patient transport from registration to SDS assigned
room. Requests patient change of clothing and gathers appropriate
tests as needed. Performs vitals and IV starts under the guidance
of the SDS RN or Charge RN.
- Utilizes paging system as needed/directed.
- Inserts all patient orders as directed into scheduling module,
clarifying with immediate charge nurse any concerns.
- Prioritizes work load.
- Participates and contributes in Department meetings
- The Perioperative Services Scheduler will be responsible for
working on data, audits, policies and procedures, preference cards,
charges and other needed projects as assigned by the Charge RN or
Director for the department when not engaged in cases.
- The Perioperative Services Scheduler will responsibly schedule
cases in the EMR, as well as accurately communicating this
information to the Charge nurse in the situation of Add-On
- The Perioperative Services Scheduler will help with any needed
assistance or functions within the department. This includes, but
is not limited to: Housekeeping Functions, Materials Management and
Room Stocking, and Floating to other Departments within
Perioperative Services or the Hospital if needed. These roles will
be assigned by the Charge Nurse or Director as needed.
- The Perioperative Services Scheduler will be dressed
appropriately at the assigned start of the shift, be present at the
assigned work area and ready to perform their job duties.
- The Perioperative Services Scheduler will communicate clearly
with the Director and other staff in regards to plans for
procedures, patient flow and personal needs.
- Other duties as assigned/requested.
- Adheres to all accepted patient safety standards
- Follows all security, confidentiality, privacy policies as well
as all industry specific rules and regulations.
POPULATION SPECIFIC CRITERIA
- Demonstrates the ability to assess and interact with customers
of all ages, recognizing language and learning barriers, and
- Able to state his/her duties during a code pink drill.
- 1-2 years of clinical scheduling experience preferred
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred
- Ability to concentrate and show attention to detail
- Relatively high degree of analytical abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills required
- Ability to work independently
- Computer skill experience preferred
- Medical terminology preferred
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English
- Spanish preferred
- EMT-B preferred
- IV Certification preferred
- Normal patient care environment with little exposure to
excessive noise, dust and temperature
- May be exposed to communicable diseases through normal or
careless performance of responsibilities
- May be exposed to mechanical dangers associated with mechanical
- May be exposed to stressful situations
Keywords: Aspen Valley Hospital, Aspen , Surgery Department Scheduler, Healthcare , Aspen, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!