On-Call Senior Services Assistant Cook
Company: Pitkin County
Posted on: August 14, 2019
The Assistant Cook will work as part of a team and be responsible
for preparing and serving menu items according to the chef's
specifications. Our Senior Center is based next to the Aspen Valley
Hospital campus in Aspen. This position is on-call. Typical shift
time is 10am to 2pm - specific work days will be communicated in
advance and will vary from week to week. Schedule flexibility is
Under basic supervision, assists with preparation of meals for
senior services clients. Duties may vary according to job
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with
Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative
duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing
of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class;
employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below;
reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job
description does not constitute an employment agreement and is
subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and
responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the
- Assists with the preparation of meals for senior services
program; performs duties in compliance with County policies and
health and safety rules; maintains clean and sanitary
- Reads recipes and product directions; estimates food
requirements; operates a variety of kitchen utensils to weigh,
measure, mix, wash, peel, cut, grind, still and prepare food for
- Assists in the preparation of hot or cold foods; properly
stores food, utilizes knowledge of temperature requirements to
prevent food spoilage.
- Inspects workstations for compliance with industry standards;
has the highest standards for food safety due to high risk nature
of food service preparation in Pitkin County Senior Services.
- Sets up stations with entries, soups, salads, or other prepared
meals; makes meals to go for delivery into senior's homes.
- Restocks kitchen supplies.
- Conducts kitchen cleanup during food preparation and after
meals are completed; washes dishes, pans, and cooking
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness trainings; attends
safety meetings; addresses any issues that may affect the health of
the seniors being served.
- Supports the relationship between Pitkin County government and
the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative
behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and County
staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and County
information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Maintains regular attendance.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or GED and one year of experience in food
preparation; experience in high-risk food preparation preferred OR
an equivalent combination of education, training, and
Required Licenses or Certifications:
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's License and acceptable
Motor Vehicle Record.
- Completion of Colorado ServSafe Food Safety Certification
Course is required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Safety policies, procedures, and practices for basic food
preparation industry standards.
- Inventory management methods and practices.
- Personal protective equipment and proper use.
- Equipment troubleshooting methods.
Knowledge of (Job Class Standard):
- General office policies and procedures.
- Records management principles and practices.
- Customer service techniques.
- Basic accounting and budgeting principles and practices.
- Handling multiple tasks simultaneously, under pressure, and in
emergency and stressful situations.
- Operating tools and equipment safely.
Skill in (Job Class Standard):
- Organizing and prioritizing work to meet deadlines and
- Typing and entering data with speed and accuracy.
- Microsoft Office products.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working
- Communicating clearly both verbally and in writing.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- Work is performed in a commercial kitchen; moderate physical
demands with risk of burns and cuts; frequent lifting, carrying,
and moving of food, materials, and equipment.
$20 per hour.
Keywords: Pitkin County, Aspen , On-Call Senior Services Assistant Cook, Hospitality & Tourism , Aspen, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!