21st Century Storage is a growing self-storage organization that
meets the diverse and evolving needs of customers in markets across
the U.S. Guided by the values of service and value, we offer the
finest end-to-end customer experience in the industry. As customer
habits have evolved, we have kept pace by adapting to our
customers' needs through property upgrades and first-class training
and development of our sales and service teams.
We have been operating for 20+ years and are undergoing a large
expansion, seeking an individual in anticipation of the scaling-up
of the operation.
STATEMENT OF THE JOB:
• Controller/ Office Administrator, Moving and Storage. 21st
Century Storage is seeking an experienced Controller/ Office Admin
who will report directly to the Company President. This person will
oversee and manage the accounting and financial activities of the
organization under the supervision and guidance of the Company
President; and will spend the remainder of the time balancing minor
lease/office/payroll administration. This position has diverse and
evolving job functions. This is a fantastic opportunity for a
professional who thrives working closely with senior management as
well as field personnel.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Controller will have the following duties and
1. Demonstrate exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting,
budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
2. Manage the day-to-day operational fiscal functions across 8
sets of books (expected to grow) for Operating Companies.
3. Monitor accounting procedures, internal controls
(implementing, monitoring, enhancing, development, and compliance),
and database management.
4. Monitor workflow to ensure that all accounting transactions
are appropriately implemented and authorized.
5. Substantiate and review expenditures, billing and
6. Prepare general ledger reconciliations for review by Company
7. Provide monthly variance analysis and resolve
8. Lease administration relating to retail tenant contracts.
9. Develop and manage financial controls in accordance with the
10. Communicate financial and performance metrics to senior
11. Manage key areas within the human resources realm, including
policy and procedure compliance and ongoing maintenance of HR
practices and personnel file management.
12. Participate in the development of the company's strategic
13. Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the
performance of company operations.
14. Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for
capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract
15. Oversee compliance to all local, state, and federal laws
regarding finances, tax filings, and reporting, ensuring company
complies with all additional legal and regulatory requirements.
16. Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication
17. Demonstrate analytical ability to develop and implement
improvements or recommendations.
18. Work closely with District Manager, Marketing, and Company
President, while interacting with Property Management at each
location to achieve common goals and tasks.
19. Other duties as assigned, including best-practices
implementation and general office administration functions.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
The controller candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in
accounting or business administration, or equivalent business
experience; and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience
in a commercial real estate environment. Preference will be given
to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified
Management Accountant designations.
• Work out of the Corporate Office in Aspen, CO.
• Strong operations knowledge.
• Demonstrated competency in the preparation of Audits, Balance
Sheets, Cash Flow Projections, Cost Analysis, and Profit & Loss
• Advanced knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting best
practices, laws, standards, and state/national regulations
• Work effectively in a central office, with demonstrated
cultural competency working with people from a diverse number of
• Detail-oriented, with team-player attributes and ability to
• Knowledge and skill in the preparation and monitoring of bank
reconciliations, accounts receivable and payable, payroll
functions, and monthly closings.
• Experience and knowledge in the use and development of
accounting software packages and data platforms. Competency in the
use of Microsoft Office Suite.
Salary commensurate with experience
Health insurance coverage