Operating Room Charge Nurse - Located in Aspen, CO
Company: Aspen Valley Hospital
Posted on: November 11, 2021
Embrace the adventure of a career at Aspen Valley Hospital.
Aspen Valley Hospital is a twenty-five-bed community hospital that
represents the best of two worlds - the warmth and friendliness of
a small town and the technical expertise of a major medical center.
Our award-winning hospital, nestled in the heart of Aspen, CO,
includes a team of more than 500 people dedicated to making a
difference for our patients, families, and community. Nationally we
are recognized for providing some of the most exceptional patient
care of any hospital across the country.
AVH supports vaccinations as the evidence-based and most
effective means for our community and country to put COVID-19
behind us and to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations and deaths. In
order to better care for our community, as of 10/31/21, AVH
requires COVID-19 Vaccination for all Staff.
This Position Offers:
The Surgical Charge Nurse provides professional nursing care in
accordance with known/accepted standards of practice and AVH
policy. The Surgical Charge Nurse Utilizes the Nursing Process to
assess, plan, implement and evaluate nursing care. The Surgical
Charge Nurse works in support of the medical staff treatment plan
and makes recommendations for changes to medical treatment plan as
appropriate. The Surgical Charge Nurse educates patients and family
around the plan of care and disease management. The Surgical Charge
Nurse actively supports the nursing philosophy by striving for
excellence in patient care, professional development, interpersonal
relations, time management, and continuous quality improvement.
The Surgical Charge Nurse will function in a leadership role in the
department. The Surgical Charge Nurse will assist the unit director
with functions of staff scheduling, policy development, education,
in-service and coordination of patient care as indicated. The
Surgical Charge Nurse performs as a role model, team leader and
engages in improvement opportunity assessment and action as
indicated. The Surgical Charge Nurse works in a collaborative
manner with executive and management staff and other leaders and
teams to achieve desired goals.
The Surgical Charge RN will be an active member of the entire
department, with the ability to help in roles outside of surgically
specific job duties if needed. The RN will work collaboratively
with others within the department to ensure an efficient,
professional and respectful environment. The RN will work with
other departments as well in regards to patient safety and
Primary Scope of Responsibilities:
- Fully competent in primary nurse role on unit; performs patient
and family assessment & problem identification, plans care
accordingly, implements and evaluates plan of care so that problems
- Develops a problem based plan of care for every patient with
appropriate nursing interventions
- Records pertinent clinical documentation in accordance with
regulatory requirements, professional standards and hospital
- Prioritizes patient situations and takes appropriate action in
an efficient, effective manner
- Responds to clinical needs of patients in accord with
experience, nursing standards, and hospital/nursing policies and
- Makes value-added resource decisions for patient care with
respect to supplies, equipment, and acuity of care
- Maintains competency in the care of the surgical patient with
emphasis on orthopedic and all specialties represented in the
- Maintain competency in the care of the pediatric patient.
- Provides expertise and knowledge in establishing, reviewing and
revising policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Ensures daily staffing needs are met according to staff skill
mix and identified patient needs while maintaining acceptable
- Maintains appropriate resources to accomplish patient care
goals in collaboration with OR Resource Coordinator and Materials
- Maintains budget requirements and ensures productivity during
periods of low census.
- Communicates appropriately and timely with the department
director any concerns regarding patients, healthcare providers, or
- The Charge Nurse will be responsible for working on Policies
and Procedures, Preference Cards and other needed projects as
assigned by the Director for the department when not engaged in
- The Charge Nurse will responsibly document Charges in both the
EMR, as well as when Pulling /Taking supplies for cases though
- The Charge Nurse will show competency with all equipment,
systems or procedures that are performed within the Surgical
- Assistance with any needed functions within the department.
This includes, but is not limited to: Housekeeping Functions,
Assisting in Sterile Processing/Instrument Cleaning, Materials
Management and Room Stocking, and Floating to other Departments
within Surgical Services or the Hospital if needed. These roles
will be assigned by the Nurse Manager or Director as needed.
- The Charge Nurse will be dressed in AVH Scrubs at the assigned
start of the shift, ready to perform their job duties.
- The Charge Nurse will communicate clearly with the Director,
Nurse Manager and other staff in regards to plans for procedures,
patient flow and personal needs.
Population Specific Criteria:
- Ensures developmentally appropriate care for infants, toddlers,
children, adolescents, adults and geriatric patients.
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements:
- 3 years of perioperative nursing experience AND at least 2
years at Aspen Valley Hospital preferred; leadership experience
- Associate Degree in Nursing; BSN graduate preferred
- Current Colorado nursing license
- Current BLS certification
- ACLS and PALS within six months of hire
Benefits & Compensation:
Hire-in rates of pay are based upon the relevance of years of
experience, education and certifications. Our talent acquisition
team will help you understand how your direct experience will be
Pay range for new hires: $47.11 - $48.99 /hr
Our comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off,
health insurance within your first 30 days, and retirement can
be viewed here.
Keywords: Aspen Valley Hospital, Aspen , Operating Room Charge Nurse - Located in Aspen, CO, Other , Aspen, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!