Company: Pitkin County
Posted on: August 29, 2019
Pitkin County is always looking for qualified applicants to join
our Sheriff's Office as Patrol Deputies. The position is posted
however we may not have any current openings. Please fill out an
application and we will be reviewing these on an ongoing basis as
positions become available.
Under basic supervision, protects lives and property, and preserves
the peace in Pitkin County through the patrolling of assigned
areas, impartial enforcement of laws, detaining and interviewing
violators, apprehension of suspects, and responding to calls for
service; assists the community in the mutual pursuit of a peaceful,
safe, and healthy environment. Duties may vary according to job
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with
Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative
duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing
of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class;
employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below;
reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job
description does not constitute an employment agreement and is
subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and
responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the
- Enforces state and federal laws, and enforces compliance with
local regulations, according to Pitkin County Sheriff's Office
(PCSO) policies, procedures, and Standard Operating Procedures
(SOP); makes proper decisions using sound judgment; duties may vary
according to job assignment. Duties may vary according to job
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency calls for service;
secures the scene, protects lives and property and conducts initial
investigations; evaluates situation, requests additional resources
as needed, and gives clear orders to emergency personnel and
citizens; secures and documents crime scene and property;
identifies and collects evidence.
- Patrols assigned areas looking for illegal, hazardous, and
suspicious activities and persons; conducts traffic stops, and
investigates traffic accidents and criminal violations; assists
motorists, victims and witnesses; investigates criminal and civil
complaints and incidents; communicates with and interrogates
victims, witnesses, and suspects in cases.
- Arrests law violators; locates, pursues and arrests criminal
suspects; transports and processes prisoners; serves criminal and
civil warrants and other court documents; completes detailed
reports and required technical paperwork.
- Provides intervention and mediation for conflicts; controls
scene, resolves disputes, and assists other emergency responders;
informs residents about community programs and resources.
- Provides courtroom testimony when summoned; provides factual
statement of incidents, presents evidence relating to cases before
the court, and assists in the prosecution of criminal and civil
- Maintains vehicles and equipment in clean and effective
- Assists other Sheriff's personnel, County departments, outside
organizations, and federal, state, and local law enforcement
organizations in order to define and resolve law enforcement
- May be assigned to special operations, enforcement,
intervention, investigative and tactical teams; including search &
rescue, traffic, civil process, SRO, training, and liaison with
- Updates PCSO files, records and event logs, and prepares
reports as required.
- Maintains the integrity, professionalism, values, and goals of
the Sheriff's Office by assuring that all rules and regulations are
followed, and that accountability and public trust are
- Supports the relationship between Pitkin County government and
the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative
behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and County
staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and County
information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or GED equivalent; AND one year of satisfactory
work experience; OR an equivalent combination of education,
training, and experience. Some college experience is preferred.
Must pass a background investigation.
The Sheriff may choose to hire or promote, at his discretion,
outside of these qualifications.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's License and acceptable
Motor Vehicle Record.
- Must maintain certification with the Colorado Peace Officer
Standards and Training (POST) Board. Additional technical training
and certifications may be required at the direction of the
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Sheriff's Office policies, procedures, and Standard Operating
- State and Federal laws, regulations and statutes, including
rules of evidence, pursuit and search techniques, use-of-force
rules, criminal and traffic codes, and special areas of
- Colorado criminal justice and court systems, procedures and
- Investigative procedures, and protocols for observation and
memorization of critical details.
- Modern law enforcement principles, practices, methods,
techniques and equipment.
- Hazardous chemicals and materials, first aid and CPR.
- Geography, roads, and landmarks of Pitkin County.
- Principles of records management.
Knowledge of (Job Class Standard):
- County policies and procedures.
- State and federal laws and regulations governing work
- Record keeping and records management rules and standards.
- Interpreting laws and regulations, making decisions,
maintaining composure, and working effectively under stressful
conditions and emergency situations.
- Remaining alert at all times, and reacting quickly and calmly
in emergency situations.
- Effectively managing situations requiring diplomacy,
understanding, fairness, and sound judgment.
- The care, maintenance and safe operation of a variety of
firearms, impact weapons, chemical agents, mobile data terminals,
and other law enforcement tools and equipment.
- Interacting with people of different social, economic, and
- Recognizing suspicious behavior patterns, mediating difficult
situations, and using effective arrest & control techniques.
- Operating motor vehicles and special equipment during
emergency, high risk situations.
- Operating a personal computer and specialized software
- Working independently and as a team member.
Skill in (Job Class Standard):
- Handling multiple tasks simultaneously, under pressure, and in
emergency and stressful situations.
- Interacting with people of different social, economic, and
- Following and effectively communicating verbal and written
- Utilizing standard personal computer software programs and
specialized state and County software.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
Physical Demands and Working Environment:
- Work is performed in internal and external environments with
exposure to inclement weather; subject to physical harm such as
dangerous vehicles, ballistic and physical attacks; may be exposed
to hazardous chemicals, drugs, infectious and communicable
diseases; required to physically restrain persons; subject to
extended periods of intense concentration in review of crime
scenes, investigations, and preparing law enforcement reports. Must
be able to work in uniform during weekdays, weekends, and holidays
on any assigned shift; must maintain a level of physical fitness to
meet PCSO standards.
$26.92-$31.23 per hour dependant upon qualifications.
Keywords: Pitkin County, Aspen , Patrol Deputy, Other , Aspen, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!